Tuesday, July 31, 2012

VLC Media Player - Apple and Microsoft meet halfway.

(In response to a question- a guy hooking up a new media server, looking for Microsoft to play an ALAC file (Apple Lossless).... That was a loosing quest, until VLC- the FREE, open source bridge...)


We live in this Microsoft Universe, where if we have something we want to do and Microsoft's products and solutions aren't doing it- we're basically screwed, right?  No, I'm finding out - there is a very bright light at the end of this very long tunnel, a buena Vista after all.  It's all about open source.  I don't care how smart the guys are at Microsoft, or Apple for that matter (a company which gives annually what percentage of their income to charity, by the way...??    any guesses???   Apple... under Jobs........0% .. That's right...zilch.VLC Media Player from Cnet Downloads
If I've heard one product in the last 6 months more than any other- no wait, lemme say this correctly.  I hear VLC everywhere I go... Oh just get VLC, VLC'll do it....
You know what, all of these codecs the other guy was good at explaining  (the recieving end neeeds as a translator of whatever language was spoken by the speaker (the player, the camera, the tape, .) however the media was modulated to the stream (as was the case with radio communication and still is..AM- Amplitude Modulation , FM frequency modulation....  You need an AM radio to listen to AM what____________? Radio stations / waves / transmissions, etc.....                         An "AM" codec for your radio......
But the difference with OPEN SOURCE stuff- I'll leave this readable- is the WHOLE THINKING... the WHOLE MINDSET that we're going to make things WORK for people, where they haven't , and we're going to build bridges where corporations have built motes (moats?)
Itunes doesn't WANT to play your WAV media files.  But they will work a deal with you- you can download their iTunes program and convert......the word "convert" just doesn't sit well with me....... But they want you to basically convert to applism.  iAM .  iLove you... iHonor Thou.   Oh great i, iArt the one and only...
Okay, but Mark my words, not only because that's my name, but because I've been playing with this stuff since 1983 when I was 5 years old.    My uncle was a salesperson for IBM and that PCjr he gave us shaped my life.  Believe me, it's taken all but a 12 step program to convert from Billism to Unaffiliated or Agnostic.  I think even Socrates said that the more he learned, the more he realized how much he didn't know- that's why he was the "Wisest man in the world."
Companies like Mozilla, Google (as it pertains to their organic search engines, and increasingly not much else..)  and ones making VLC type stuff.  Hey, In my store I have two identical computers setup.  One runs 7 Ultimate and one runs Ubuntu x64 12.4  (the latest and it's free, of course).  When older folks or people who don't know anything about computers come in, I'll ask them to try each and tell me which one they like more?  Which one do you think is a Microsoft based computer, and which is a Linux based OS?   (The winner gets a free copy of the latest Ubuntu by the way.... :-)
The #1 answer, of course, is I have no idea.  Which one do they prefer?  Neither- they do the same thing.  They're both beautiful, seem fast, do 2,000 times more than they expected a computer would EVER do... So what's the difference?  , well, about $350.    
My daughter is 2.5 and has an iPad.. I can't even use it and refuse to try.  Why can she use it- she had no preconcieved notions or biases which prohibit her from learning how to get her games to pull up.  (I do have it set up where she has to do a math problem or it won't unlock..)
My answer to you is that I am quite sure VLC plays ALAC files, because I used to tape phish shows and I know that format well.  I think I remember seeing it on the list..
_________________________________________________________________________________
 Ok brother:
Audio formats
MPEG, MP3, AAC, Vorbis, AC3 - A/52 (Dolby Digital), E-AC-3 (Dolby Digital Plus) 3, MLP / TrueHD, DTS, WMA, FLAC, ALAC, Speex, Musepack / MPC, ATRAC 3, Wavpack, Mod (.s3m, .it, .mod), TrueAudio (TTA), APE (Monkey Audio), Real Audio, Alaw/µlaw, AMR (3GPP), LPCM, ADPCM, QCELP, DV Audio, QDM2/QDMC (QuickTime), MACE
How's that for playing some dang music!?  And Video?

Video formats:
FLV (Flash), MPEG 1/2/4, DivX 1/2/3/4/5/6, AVI, XviD, WMV (Windows Media Video), Sorenson 1/3 (Quicktime), Real Video 1/2/3/4, 3ivX D4, H.261/.263/.263i/.264, Cinepak, Theora, Dirac / VC-2, MJPEG (A/B), VC-1, DV (Digital Video), On2 VP3/VP5/VP6, Indeo Video v3/4/5
(The biggest thing you'll notice here is the Apple / MS bridge- it plays WMV, Quicktime AND Real Video Files....)
_________________________________________________________________________________
Hardware Compatability List for VLC's Media Player:
(check it out- way too many to list here)

Now here's what really gets me.. Everyone has an old tuner card- the change to all digital signals was a pain for everyone, including software companies, but name another media player supporting this list:  VLC's HCL
___________________________
Anyways, good luck with your attempt to do what Century 21 will quickly allow- for software to replace hardware, for simplicity to replace cabling.  And for free, open creative advancement to carry our nation and this world together into the next century facing god only knows what challenges....
All I can say is that we're now headed for the clouds, where 40 gig hard drives will be large and unnecessry - where access to your media will be like finding the box of Cheerios in the morning, as opposed to something like what you pose as a ligitimate and challenging question due to a complete breakdown and lack of corporations to work together.... How long did every phone have a different charger before they all went to USB?
By that time I think every computer I sell will come with a version of Linux or other open sourced OS on it.   I just had a client walk int 20 minutes ago asking if I could come over and install XP back on his system... "I just don't like this 7 stuff, he said..."  And if 8's great I'll dance naked in Times Square.....
Please show your support for Recycling and responsible waste management for the sake of children in Bangladesh and countries like it.....


If you are going to get Microsoft for your PC, as 95% of computers do, get a version with Media Center embedded or Home Server 2011 for under $60 at the Techno Outlet:
        


Cheers,

Mark Vanderbloemen, ceo
Vanderbloemen Communications, Inc  (which finds itself sitting on a free Microsoft trial for the 365...360, whatever it is- a Sharepoint site....)
Home PC Media of Hickory
1245 2nd St NE,Ste. B
Hickory, NC  28601

828-MIX-PLUS

No comments:

Post a Comment